My Dog Ate My Chapstick: Understanding the Risks and Steps to Take

· 4 min read

article picture

Understanding Chapstick Ingredients

Common Ingredients in Chapstick

Chapstick is a common lip balm used to moisturize and protect the lips. It typically contains ingredients such as beeswax, petrolatum, and various oils. Beeswax is a natural ingredient that helps to lock in moisture and provide a protective barrier on the lips. Petrolatum, also known as petroleum jelly, is a highly effective moisturizer that helps to prevent dryness and chapping. Oils like coconut oil, almond oil, and sunflower oil are often added to provide additional hydration and nourishment to the lips. These ingredients work together to keep the lips soft, smooth, and protected.

Potentially Harmful Substances

While chapstick is generally safe for human use, there are some potentially harmful substances that pet owners should be aware of when it comes to their dogs. One such substance is menthol, which is often used in medicated chapsticks to provide a cooling sensation. However, menthol can be toxic to dogs if ingested in large amounts. Another potentially harmful substance is phenol, which is sometimes added to chapsticks for its antiseptic properties. Phenol can cause irritation and gastrointestinal upset in dogs.

Ingredients Safe for Dogs

When it comes to dogs, not all chapstick ingredients are safe for ingestion. Dogs have different metabolisms and digestive systems than humans, which means that some ingredients that are safe for us may not be safe for them. For example, essential oils like tea tree oil and peppermint oil, which are often used in chapsticks for their soothing and aromatic properties, can be toxic to dogs if ingested. Other ingredients to avoid in chapstick for dogs include artificial sweeteners like xylitol, which can be extremely toxic to dogs even in small amounts. 

Symptoms of Chapstick Ingestion in Dogs

Immediate Symptoms to Watch For

If your dog ate your chapstick, there are immediate symptoms you should watch for. The first sign to look out for is vomiting. The ingredients in chapstick can irritate your dog's stomach, leading to nausea and vomiting. Another symptom to be aware of is diarrhea. The oily texture of chapstick can cause an upset stomach and loose stools in dogs. Additionally, your dog may show signs of discomfort or pain, such as licking their lips excessively or drooling. It is important to monitor your dog closely for any unusual behavior or distress.

Long-Term Health Risks

While your dog eating chapstick may not pose immediate life-threatening risks, there are potential long-term health risks to consider. One concern is gastrointestinal blockage. If your dog swallows a large amount of chapstick or the plastic casing, it can lead to a blockage in their digestive system. This can cause severe pain, vomiting, and constipation. Another long-term risk is toxicity. Some chapsticks contain ingredients like menthol or essential oils that can be toxic to dogs if ingested in large quantities. These substances can cause symptoms like weakness, tremors, and even organ damage. It is crucial to consult with a veterinarian if your dog has consumed chapstick to assess and mitigate any potential long-term health risks.

What to Do If Your Dog Ate Chapstick

Initial Steps to Take

If your dog has eaten your chapstick, there are a few initial steps you can take to address the situation. First, it's important to remain calm and assess the situation. Check the ingredients of the chapstick to see if there are any toxic substances that could harm your dog. If the chapstick is made of safe ingredients, you can monitor your dog for any signs of discomfort or distress. However, if the chapstick contains harmful substances like xylitol or essential oils, it's crucial to contact a veterinarian immediately. They will be able to guide you on the next steps to ensure your dog's safety.

How to Induce Vomiting Safely

If you suspect that your dog has ingested your chapstick, inducing vomiting can be a safe way to remove the foreign object from their system. However, it's essential to do this under the guidance of a veterinarian. They will be able to provide you with the appropriate dosage of hydrogen peroxide, which is commonly used to induce vomiting in dogs. It's crucial to follow their instructions carefully to avoid any complications or harm to your dog. Inducing vomiting should only be done if the chapstick contains toxic substances or if your dog is showing signs of distress.

Why It's Important to Contact a Veterinarian

Contacting a veterinarian is of utmost importance if your dog has ingested your chapstick. Even if the chapstick doesn't contain any toxic substances, it's still crucial to seek professional advice. A veterinarian will be able to assess the situation and provide guidance based on the specific circumstances. They may recommend monitoring your dog for any symptoms or suggest bringing them in for a check-up to ensure there are no underlying issues. If the chapstick contains toxic ingredients, the veterinarian will guide you on the necessary steps to take, which may include inducing vomiting or administering specific treatments.